Overview Of CBT
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is an effective treatment for a wide variety of mental and physical health conditions. This information handout describes some of the key principles.
Overview of CBT is a simple explanation of how early experiences shape our core beliefs which, in turn, affect how we make sense of situations in the here-and-now.
This is a Psychology Tools information handout. Suggested uses include:
- Client handout – use as a psychoeducation resource
- Discussion point – use to provoke a discussion and explore client beliefs
- Therapist learning tool – improve your familiarity with a psychological construct
- Teaching resource – use as a learning tool during training
- Beck, A. T. (Ed.). (1979). Cognitive therapy of depression. Guilford Press.