The fear of bodily sensations is a core component of conditions such as panic disorder, heath anxiety, or chronic subjective dizziness. This CBT formulation diagram illustrates possible maintaining factors leading-to- and consequences stemming-from- a fear of bodily sensations. Helpful treatment approached for this difficulty include: psychoeducation, cognitive restructuring, and interoceptive exposure exercises.
This is a Psychology Tools information handout. Suggested uses include:
- Client handout – use as a psychoeducation resource
- Discussion point – use to provoke a discussion and explore client beliefs
- Therapist learning tool – improve your familiarity with a psychological construct
- Teaching resource – use as a learning tool during training
- Chambless, D. L., & Gracely, E. J. (1989). Fear of fear and the anxiety disorders. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 13(1), 9-20.
- Clark, D. M., Salkovskis, P. M., Öst, L. G., Breitholtz, E., Koehler, K. A., Westling, B. E., … & Gelder, M. (1997). Misinterpretation of body sensations in panic disorder. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 65(2), 203.