Thoughts And Depression
Depression is associated with cognitive biases, one of which is a failure to notice positive information. This information handout presents this concept in a simple visual form.
DescriptionDepression is characterized by cognitive bias which prioritizes negative information (and negative interpretations of information), and 'filters out' more positive information. Thoughts and Depression is an information sheet which illustrates the principle of the cognitive biases which operate in depressed individuals.
InstructionsThis is a Psychology Tools information handout. Suggested uses include:
- Client handout - use as a psychoeducation resource
- Discussion point - use to provoke a discussion and explore client beliefs
- Therapist learning tool - improve your familiarity with a psychological construct
- Teaching resource - use as a learning tool during training
- Beck, A. T., Rush, A. J., Shaw, B. F., & Emery, G. (1979). Cognitive therapy of depression. New York: Guilford Press