Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET)
Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET) is an empirically validated treatment for survivors of multiple traumatic events who are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This information handout outlines the process and key procedures, and is helpful as a therapist guide.
Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET) is a treatment for survivors of multiple traumatic events who are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). NET is an evidence-based treatment with good efficacy data supporting its use in the treatment of multiply-traumatised adults and children. There is also emerging evidence that NET can be effective in treating symptoms of PTSD in those suffering from borderline personality disorder. This 9-page guide briefly discusses the theory of NET before describing the practical aspects of the therapy. It was originally written by Matthew Whalley as a quick guide to the key principles of NET, and was later edited by Katy Robjant and Maggie Schauer. For those interested in learning more about NET there is an excellent manual available, and approved training is available from the charity Vivo.
This 9-page guide briefly discusses the theory of NET before describing the practical aspects of the therapy.
- Aldenhoff, J., Rosentreager, R., Ruf-Leuschner, M., Schauer, M., Goder, R., Robjant, K., … & Pabst, A. (2014). Evaluation of Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET) for borderline personality disorder with comorbid posttraumatic stress disorder. Clinical Neuropsychiatry, 11(4), 108-117.
- Mørkved, N., Hartmann, K., Aarsheim, L. M., Holen, D., Milde, A. M., Bomyea, J., & Thorp, S. R. (2014). A comparison of narrative exposure therapy and prolonged exposure therapy for PTSD. Clinical Psychology Review, 34(6), 453-467.
- Pabst, A., Schauer, M., Bernhardt, K., Ruf, M., Goder, R., Rosentraeger, R., … & Seeck-Hirschner, M. (2012). Treatment of patients with borderline personality disorder and comorbid posttraumatic stress disorder using narrative exposure therapy: a feasibility study. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, 81(1), 61-63.
- Robjant, K., & Fazel, M. (2010). The emerging evidence for narrative exposure therapy: A review. Clinical Psychology Review, 30(8), 1030-1039.
- Schauer, M., Neuner, F., Elbert, T. (2011). Narrative Exposure Therapy: A short term treatment for traumatic stress disorders (2nd edition). Cambridge, MA: Hogrefe Publishing.