Forgiveness is an effective treatment for anger, with a rich methodology and academic literature. Forgiveness Methods is an information sheet which explores ways of forgiving. It includes some discussion of common misconceptions which often present as blocks to forgiveness. The canonical reference for forgiveness is the book Helping clients forgive by Enright and Fitzgibbons.
This is a Psychology Tools information handout. Suggested uses include:
- Client handout – use as a psychoeducation resource
- Discussion point – use to provoke a discussion and explore client beliefs
- Therapist learning tool – improve your familiarity with a psychological construct
- Teaching resource – use as a learning tool during training
- Enright, R. D., Fitzgibbons, R. P. (2000). Helping clients forgive: An empirical guide for resolving anger. New York: American Psychological Association.